The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
Administrative Assistant, Office of the President
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant in the Office of the President
SALARY: To be determined. Commensurate with education, training and experience.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide high level administrative and clerical support to the Office of the President and the Board of Governors for St. Thomas More College.
NATURE OF WORK
Reporting to the College Secretary and Executive Assistant (EA) to the President with dotted line reporting and accountability to both the Chief Financial Officer and Director of Administration and the Human Resources Manager, the Administrative Assistant in the President’s Office works in a team-orientated, high-volume office setting with multiple and competing demands and strict deadlines. This position requires a professional who can work with a high functioning team under pressure and with minimal supervision in a fast paced, ever-changing environment with shifting priorities and frequent interruptions. Dealing with competing deadlines and multi-tasking is the norm. The incumbent must be able to plan workflow to handle deadlines, peak periods and unexpected situations. Judgment is exercised in managing schedules and bringing forward work as well as in determining the appropriate guidelines or procedures. Difficult or unusual issues or situations would be referred or discussed with the College Secretary and EA to the President to determine appropriate solutions. Impact of error is high as this position (together with the College Secretary and EA to the President), is responsible to ensure the Administrative Committee Team and various College Board Committees have access to necessary, accurate and timely information in order to ensure that information provided to others is correct. The position requires maintaining a high degree of confidentiality. Discretion and the ability to build trust is required in communication as this position is privy to and works with complex, sensitive, and confidential information (including labour relations and personnel). The incumbent must be willing and available to work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
- Performs complex and confidential executive secretarial and administrative functions and works closely with the College Secretary and EA to ensure operations of the Office of the President are consistent with administrative policies, guidelines and procedures of St. Thomas More College
- Provides timely and confidential administrative and clerical support to the President’s Office, the Chief Financial Officer and Director of Administration (CFO), the Human Resources Manager and others as cyclical demands require. This includes gathering and preparing meeting and briefing materials and assisting with the management of highly confidential files and information
- Works with the College Secretary and EA to provide timely and appropriate service to all individuals interacting with the President’s Office. This includes: scheduling meetings with the President, scheduling Administrative Committee meetings, and other senior level meetings as requested and directed by the College Secretary and EA
- In consultation with the College Secretary and EA and CFO, manages board committee meeting logistics, including timely preparation and distribution of agendas, notifications, and advance reading materials
- Assists the College Secretary and EA with action items generated at board committee meetings to ensure information is provided to board members in a timely manner.
- In consultation with the College Secretary and EA to the President and CFO, manages board committee work plans and calendars.
- Serves as recording secretary at meetings, provides administrative and clerical support to Board of Governor Committees including: Audit and Risk, Finance and Investment and Organization and Membership Committees.
- Manages the schedules and associated logistics for the President, the College Secretary and EA to the President, the CFO and Director of Administration and others as directed by supervisor.
- Records, transcribes and distributes meeting minutes for other senior level meetings as required.
- Distributes minutes, meeting materials and reports in a timely manner as required.
- Maintains records and addresses requests for information as directed by supervisor.
- Assists the College Secretary and EA with managing all incoming and outgoing presidential correspondence and prepares drafts and edits to correspondence and reports as required.
- Makes travel arrangements as requested by the College Secretary and EA to the President.
- Prepares appointment and contract letters for new hires to the College as directed.
- Coordinates events sponsored by the President’s Office.
- Under the direction of the College Secretary and EA, organizes functions for the annual Corporation meeting.
- Assists the Director of Mission and Ministry with organizing the annual faculty and staff retreat.
- Performs necessary tasks to ensure confidentiality and security of sensitive information.
- Maintains effective filing and bring-forward systems for the purpose of locating and retrieval of documents. This includes updating of the filing system and archiving files annually.
- Maintains accurate faculty and staff personnel files ensuring all pertinent information is up to date.
- Addresses issues and requests in a timely, respectful and effective manner.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relations with all faculty, staff, students, members of the Board of Governors, University of Saskatchewan contacts and other offices.
- Actively seeks to understand the mission, strategic plan and associated College priorities to recognize the importance of various requests and deal with them appropriately.
- Ensures office supplies are kept in stock and that all equipment is operating properly.
- Orders appropriate floral arrangements or memorial donations on behalf of the President in the event of the death or very serious illness as outlined in policy or as directed by the College Secretary and EA to the President.
- Supports the College Secretary and EA on special projects as needed. (Including special mail-outs etc.).
- Assumes the responsibilities of the College Secretary and EA to the President in his or her absence as directed.
- Assists the Human Resources Manager with editing and producing the Collective Agreement and the Staff Handbook.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Relevant post-secondary certificate or diploma in office administration or equivalent from a recognized college or technical school is required. University education would be an asset.
A minimum of five years of directly related office experience, preferably in a post-secondary educational setting in support of senior administrators. Experience with scheduling meetings in Microsoft Outlook, post-secondary institutional policies, practices and procedures, and PC based computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is preferred. An understanding of, and familiarity with the St. Thomas More College mission, its programs, services and the culture of a Catholic university is considered an asset.
The position requires:
- Proven ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, demonstrated ability to conduct research and gather information along with a desire to continuously learn and engage in new priorities, processes and technology
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft (Office 365, word, excel, PPT)
- Experience with and demonstration of minute-taking ability
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently prioritize, work independently and as part of a team, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously with imposed deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to manage interactions with tact, discretion, confidentiality and sensitivity
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Exemplary interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills enabling effective interaction with a broad range of people
- Willingness and ability to support the Mission and Strategic Plan of St. Thomas More College with the ability to work in a Catholic college federated with the University of Saskatchewan
- A positive, energetic and enthusiastic attitude towards work
The self-motivated incumbent also will possess the following:
- Sound judgement, demonstrated ability to problem solve and troubleshoot, including the ability to recognize and anticipate issues in order to deal with them proactively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- A customer service focus with the ability to address sensitive and difficult issues with composure and diplomacy while maintaining confidentiality.
- Willingness and ability to support the work of others.
Interested applicants must email a résumé complete with cover letter and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will commence on March 20, 2017.
Consideration of applications will continue until a suitable candidate has been appointed. While we appreciate all interest in the position, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. St. Thomas More College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to Employment Equity. Members of Designated Groups (women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and visible minorities) are encouraged to self-identify on their applications.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.