The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
Department: College of Arts and Science, Administrative Support Group (Department of Psychology)
Competition No.: 17207-C
Salary Information: $3,239.60 to $4,374.07 per month (Operational Services, Phase 4). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Primary Purpose: To provide clerical and administrative support to the Department of Psychology, and to its department head, in the College of Arts and Science.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Administrative Services Manager, College of Arts and Science, and as a member of the Administrative Support Group, this position provides clerical and administrative support for the department. The work is diverse in nature and requires a good understanding of a variety of administrative tasks. The position exercises decision making in accordance within established policies and procedures. The position establishes and maintains professional working relationships with a diverse group including students, staff, instructors, the university community and various stakeholders. All work is to be carried out in adherence with established College of Arts and Science policies and procedures.
- Responsible for day-to-day clerical and administrative support for the department head including: effectively coordinating discipline-specific activities and projects in the department
- Assisting with course timetabling and class builds
- Assisting in the preparation of annual salary reviews and CV updates
- Coordinating recruitment of faculty and hiring of sessional lecturers
- Assisting with preparation of calendar descriptions
- Maintaining internal databases and filing systems
- Signing out keys/equipment
- Distribution of mail
- Coordinating departmental initiatives
- Processing special permission forms for students
- Providing support for departmental meetings
- Maintaining departmental college directory listings
- Providing general reception and clerical duties including answering telephone inquiries, email inquiries, and walk-in traffic
- Coordinating financial transactions for faculty
- Managing the departmental website and social media
- Other duties as assigned by the ASG manager and the department head where appropriate
This position is a liaison with the department and the Administrative Support Group in the College of Arts and Science, and routinely shares work as appropriate with members of that group. As part of the Administrative Support Group, this position provides clerical and administrative support to the department head and department while remaining an integral part of the central unit. This position supports other departments in the College of Arts and Science, providing coverage and relief, as assigned by the ASG manager.
Education: Completion of Grade 12 and the successful completion of an administrative assistant course through a recognized business college. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Knowledge, understanding, and acquired work experience in an office and university setting are assets.
Experience: Three to five years of office experience is required, preferably in a university setting. Knowledge of College of Arts and Science and University of Saskatchewan policies and procedures would be a definite asset.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, time management, and relationship building skills
- Proven ability to work in a high volume setting and manage multiple projects with competing demands and deadline
- Ability to maintain meticulous attention to detail and ensure accuracy; demonstrated professional maturity, judgment and decisiveness
- Ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proven ability to handle interaction with tact, diplomacy and intercultural sensitivity and maintain confidentiality
- Proven ability to coordinate projects
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated strong computer skills including keyboarding and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), PAWS, and other systems
This position is in scope of CUPE 1975.
Please apply no later than April 25, 2017, at 4:30pm.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Sharla Daviduik at (306) 966-8711.
Be sure to apply online as emailed applications will not be accepted.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.