The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
Technician (Critical Care/ICU)Apply
Department: Veterinary Medical Centre, Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Competition No.: 17112-T
Salary Information: The salary range is $4,327.44 to $5,834.14 per month plus shift premium as applicable (Applied Scientific Services, Phase 5). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Primary Purpose: To ensure that an optimum level of patient care is maintained 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week. This position functions between the areas of critical care, medicine, surgery, anaesthesiology, and radiology.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Emergency Services Nursing Care Manager, this position functions on a rotational basis providing coverage during the day, evening, weekend and Statutory Holidays between the areas of critical care, medicine, surgery, anaesthesia, and radiology. Animal handling and manipulations are a constant part of the position. This position works in an animal facility with small (canine, feline, avian, and some exotics) and large animals (bovine, equine, and caprine, ovine, porcine) which exposes employees to animal dander, waste, and unpredictability; and requires a substantial amount of lifting, moving, and cleaning of equipment/work area. Subject to some unpleasant odours, dress code, and traffic pattern restrictions.
- Manages and monitors critically ill patients
- Emergency animal care
- Induction, maintenance and recovery from anesthesia as instructed by licensed veterinarians
- Monitors performance of aseptic technique and arranges OR environment for implementation of optimum patient care
- Assists in imaging/ultrasound procedures of patients
- Handles and restrains animals
- Maintains health records
- Assists with the supervision of teaching undergraduate veterinary and veterinary technology program students
- Maintains equipment, supplies, and facility
Education: Graduate of a recognized two-year veterinary technology program and registered or eligible for registration with Saskatchewan Association of Veterinary Technologists (SAVT). The successful applicant will be required to provide a completed criminal record check. Candidate is to be certified or is pursuing certification with the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians (AVECCT).
Experience: At least three years of experience in the fields of critical care/emergency medicine, medicine, surgery, anesthesiology, and radiology.
- Demonstrated proficient technical skills in the various fields mentioned above
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to prioritize in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to effectively work independently as well as part of a team, maintaining a professional and positive demeanor in a dynamic environment
- Ability to evaluate the work of others
- Demonstrated effective organizational and time management skills
- Ability to perform moderate physical labor and tolerate exposure to a wide variety of animals
This position is in scope of CUPE 1975.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Lori Lorenzo at 306-966-7106.
Be sure to apply online as emailed applications will not be accepted.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.