Edwards School of Business Undergraduate Programs AdvisorApply
THE PURPOSE OF THIS POSTING IS TO MAKE AN EXISTING TERM POSITION PERMANENT.
Department: Edwards Undergraduate Programs Office
Competition No.: 13428-M
Salary Information: The salary range is $45,770 - $71,517 per annum (Specialist Professional, Phase 1). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Primary Purpose: To provide student, program and career advising for Bachelor of Commerce undergraduate students and to students seeking admission to the Bachelor of Commerce degree program. This position will also have a specific emphasis on activities and processes to improve the recruitment, selection and retention of Aboriginal students within the context of the program advisor role.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Director of the Bachelor of Commerce Program, this is one of three positions offering student program advising for Bachelor of Commerce undergraduate students and students seeking admission to the Bachelor of Commerce degree program. This includes, but is not limited to: recruitment fairs, admissions, course selection, major selection, academic advising, transfer credit assessment, personal counseling and referral, data-base management, pre-requisite checking, scholarship and career advising. This position functions independently and efficiently in a high-volume, multi-tasking environment. The position requires interactions with the Edwards School of Business Deans, Department Heads, faculty, staff and other administrative personnel on the University of Saskatchewan campus.
- Responsible for academic advising, interpretation, maintenance and communication of program requirements, academic regulations, graduation standards, and academic policies.
- Responsible for advising and file maintenance regarding the Aboriginal Business Administration Certificate (ABAC) program.
- Liaise with the Rawlco Resource Centre staff and key university and off-campus contacts on aboriginal student advising and initiatives.
- Assist with the administration of the admission process, including transfer credit assessment.
- Responsible for program advising designed to enhance first and second year retention.
- Assist with student experience events including orientation, coffee break with the deans and brain freeze.
- Responsible for representing the School in recruitment events including Experience US.
- Assist with the maintenance of the proprietary Edwards School of Business student data base management system.
- Assist with the registration process including class permissions, class overrides, degree audit and elective selection guidance.
- Membership on University Committees: Academic Advisors, Direct Contact, others as required.
- Provide on-going support to the other academic advisors, the Director of the Bachelor of Commerce Program and the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, and other duties as required.
Education: Four year undergraduate degree is required. Bachelor of Commerce is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of three years of university level experience working with undergraduate students and with the educational process is preferred. Experience in working with university personnel from various academic and non-academic units is also desirable. An equivalent combination of academic experience and preparation may be considered.
Skills: Excellent oral and written skills. Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively as part of a team is essential. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Proven ability to develop a good rapport with undergraduate students. Proficient working knowledge of application software packages (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite). Knowledge of the Bachelor of Commerce program desired. Experience with Banner, SiRIUS desired. Organizational, event planning and creative skills. Marketing skills desired.
This position is in scope of the Administrative and Supervisory Personnel Association.
Please apply no later than October 1, 2013.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Brooke Klassen at 306-966-4785.
Be sure to apply online as emailed applications will not be accepted.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.