Department: Information and Communications Technology, Platform Services
Status: Term, three years with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent.
Competition No.: 13375-K
Salary Information: The salary range is $59,517 to $92,996 per annum (Information Technology, Phase 2). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Primary Purpose: To assist in the development, enhancement and support of services that Information and Communications Technology (ICT) provides on servers running the Windows operating system and on VMware’s virtualization platform. This position will also assist in establishing policies and procedures for the services.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the manager of ICT Platforms under direct supervision of the systems team leader, this position is involved in the effective operation and enhancement of institutional and workgroup servers. This position will also assist in the operation and enhancement of ICTs virtualization and storage infrastructure, as well as providing input to the planning and enhancement of existing services and new services. Some evening and weekend shifts required.
- Responsible for the reliability, performance, integrity, and security of servers running the Windows operating system along with Windows server-based applications (e.g. Exchange, Sharepoint, IIS Webservers, File and Print Servers, Powershell, MS-SQL, Active Directory).
- Responsible for the reliability, performance, integrity, and security of ICT’s storage infrastructure and VMware environment.
- Work collaboratively to provide effective feedback to users and support staff for problem resolution.
- Install and configure server hardware, operating systems, and application software.
- Apply patches and perform orderly upgrades of server hardware, operating systems, and application software.
- Document and maintain operating procedures.
- Provide technical support for the evaluation of products and the provision of IT services.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other providers of IT services used by internal and external clients.
- Accurately document time and expenses on projects and assignments.
- Keep sponsors and supervisor informed of progress and issues.
Education: A university degree in Computer Science or a related discipline. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Experience: A minimum of five years’ work experience. Recent work experience in system administration at a post-secondary institution and supporting a large (10,000 or more) user population, is an asset.
Required Skills: Advanced skills in Windows server administration; ability to work independently and within a team; strong problem solving skills; effective interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal; proven ability to work on multiple projects and competing demands to meet deadlines. Skills that would be considered assets are: VMware administration; Powershell scripting; Windows Domain Controllers; iSCSI SAN administration; Network Load Balancing administration; Unix (Redhat linux and Solaris) or Macintosh server administration are also an asset.
This position is in scope of the Administrative and Supervisory Personnel Association.
Please apply no later than September 17, 2013.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Lori Weitzel at 306-966-6623.
Be sure to apply online as emailed applications will not be accepted.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.